When the cold winter winds blow, and snow swiftly drops, nothing takes the chill away like a bowl of hearty homemade soup! It may seem that making a pot of soup with a fantastic array of flavors would require one to be highly competent in cooking, but that is not true!
Did you know that Americans eat more than ten billion soup bowls yearly? As we gear up to celebrate National Homemade Soup Day on February 4th, why not include our feline friends in the festivities? While you might be busy preparing a warm bowl of soup for yourself, there's no reason your cat can't join in on the fun with some homemade, cat-friendly treats. In this article, we'll share simple and nutritious recipes that will satisfy your cat's taste buds and keep them healthy and happy.
History of National Homemade Soup Day
Soup has been warming up human stomachs for almost 9000 years, so it's about time there was a day committed to it!
It's brilliant that National Homemade Soup Day is smack-dab in mid-winter (at least for most countries). Considering that February can be one of the coldest and darkest months of the year, it's the perfect time to try developing the best homemade soup.
However, for people who live where the day isn't dropped in cold weather months—don't despair! Homemade cold soups are also delicious and hearty for those living in warmer temperatures. Whether with a Gazpacho (cold tomato soup) or cucumber soup, this day can be taken pleasure in—cool or hot—any part of the world!
Celebrate National Homemade Soup Day with Your Cat
While this particular day does not differentiate between soup flavors, we have a commemoration process. So it's time to do more than simply open that can of bland soup! This day celebrates a fresh, healthy, balanced pot of homemade soup!
And as you prepare to commemorate National Homemade Soup Day on February 4th, why not include our feline friends? While you could be hectic preparing a cozy bowl of soup on your own, there's no reason your cat should not enjoy a bowl of homemade, cat-friendly treats. In this blog, we'll share three of our favorite homemade soup recipes that are simple and nourishing. These dishes will not just please your pet cat's taste but also keep them healthy and delighted.
Tuna and Chicken Broth Delight
- 1/4 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon canned tuna in water
- 1 cup low- or no-sodium chicken stock
- Mix the shredded chicken and tuna in a bowl.
- Heat the chicken stock in a casserole or saucepan until warm.
- Pour the warm broth over the chicken and tuna mixture.
- Allow it to cool before serving it to your cat in a cat-friendly bowl.
This tasty treat combines chicken and tuna flavors in a broth that's both delicious and hydrating for your furry friend.
Salmon and Sweet Potato Soup Bites
- 1/4 cup cooked salmon, flaked
- 2 tablespoons cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 tablespoon oat flour
- Mix the mashed sweet potato, flaked salmon, and oat flour in a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until you achieve a dough-like consistency.
- Form small bite-sized pieces and place them on a baking sheet.
- Preheat your oven and bake the balls for 10-12 minutes at 350°F (180°C) until firm.
- Let the bites cool down before serving them to your cat.
These Salmon and Sweet Potato Soup Bites blend protein and healthy carbohydrates, making them a delightful and nutritious treat for your cat.
Chicken and Pumpkin Chowder
- 1/4 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- Combine diced chicken, pumpkin puree, and Greek yogurt in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients until well blended.
- Serve the chowder in a cat-friendly bowl.
This recipe gives your cat protein from the chicken and includes the digestive benefits of pumpkin and the probiotics found in Greek yogurt.
Soups are very easy to make.
You don't need to be a seasoned chef to make a yummy homemade soup. Many dishes only require marginal initiative and standard cooking abilities - simply slice and cook the ingredients, include any flavors you want, and then simmer up until everything is cooked! Easy peasy.
National Soup Month is an excellent opportunity to show your feline some added love by preparing our tasty and healthy favorite soup recipes. These cat-friendly dishes align with the style of the day and prioritize your feline buddy's wellness and happiness. So, gather your utensils and prepare to celebrate with your cat on February 4th!